Catholic Social Services (CSS) of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia has been meeting basic human needs within the Philadelphia area since 1797, when Catholic laity provided residential care for children left orphaned by the Yellow Fever Epidemic. First incorporated in 1919 as the Catholic Children’s Bureau, it became known as Catholic Social Services in 1964 to more fully describe the diversity of services offered. Today, CSS is one of the largest private non-profit providers of social services in Southeastern Pennsylvania.